Friday, January 14, 2011

Making Cleats


Ok, so it took about 2 hours to make this, and it turned out a little thin on top. But since it's only going to hold the centerboard pennant, it should be fine.

Now that I have an Idea what I am doing, I think I will be able to churn one out in about 15 minutes.



  • A simple guide on the drill press means I can cut the holes for the curves without carefully measuring each block.
  • The order of cutting on the bandsaw is all important when some of the cuts are not at 90 degrees.
  • It's a lot easier to round the end of the cleat on a sander than on a bandsaw.
  • When you are joining a curve (20mm drill bit) and a straight line, don't try for a perfect tangent, cut inside the tangent, tidy up with sandpaper or a file.


It is still hard to explain why I spent all that time, instead of just buying a half a dozen nylon ones. At least it's hard to explain to some people.

No comments: